My Photo
Name:
Location: Meridian, ID, United States
| Email me



Powered by Blogger

Get Firefox! Get Thunderbird!



3.10.2005

Some corroboration...

Apparently, my anonymous source is more likely correct, and William Poole wasn't really arrested for writing a zombie story. Turns out that his "story" makes no mention of zombies and in fact is promoting violence in his school and the surrounding area.

This isn't just from an anonyomous source anymore (thank you ever so much, whoever you are), this is from Detective Steven Caudill's testimony in court yesterday. In situations like this, I always ask this question, "Who gains the most?" Does the Winchester, KY police department have more to lose than William Poole in this case? The Winchester PD has very little to gain from throwing an innocent kid in jail. William Poole has everything to lose: if convicted, he could very well be an old man by the time he gets out of jail. Now, it is not necessarily the case that the party with the most on the line will lie to save their own necks, but that really does seem to be the way the ball bounces. How many people do you know that would lie about something this serious if they had nothing to gain or lose by telling the truth?

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I still disagree. I read Caudhill's testimony, and I couldn't help but be struck by the similarity between the excerpts he read and post-apocalyptic stories I wrote as a frustrated high school junior. The excerpts were in narrative form, were broken up into individual "stories" (the Sun's word, not mine), and bore several tell-tales of fiction. Even Caudhill described one story as "futuristic."

And what of that teacher that Poole HAD shown some of his work to, and who advised him to then leave such things at home? If you were planning on forming a gang and shooting up your school, would you show your writings about such things to a possible target? That makes no sense. Poole DID leave his work at home from that point on, as per the teacher's advice. It wasn't enough, apparantly.

2:24 PM

 
Blogger Aaron Bynum said...

I'm still uncertain. I won't really know one way or the other until I actually read a copy of what he wrote, but I would imagine that may take awhile to go public.

I wasn't aware that Poole had shown his work to any teachers. Did a teacher tip off his grandmother?

2:38 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Of course, all we have is Poole's word that he told a teacher. The teacher stated that he hadn't seen any such stories and wouldhave had to turn them into the school counselor if he had seen them. Once again, Poole's word alone.

12:24 PM

 
Blogger Aaron Bynum said...

It does appear that it's Poole's word against the police, his teachers, and his grandmother. I want the story! I want to read it with my own two eyes and be able to make up my own mind whether or not I believe he wrote a story about zombies or a master plan to take over his school. I need to do some follow up on that...

7:40 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Winchester SUn has filed a request for the written material through the Freedom of Information Act. This includes all seven documents taken, which means the recruitment correspondence, not just the journal. Hopefully you wil get your wish soon.

7:02 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

CNN has bailed out William Poole and is housing him locally, as he cannot return to his grandparents' home since he threatened to cut them up starting with their fingers before he kills them).

His cousin, who has spoken to him since he left jail, says that Poole is not discouraged by the situation but rather, pumped up by the media attention. Poole said that if he's going down, it will be for something big and he's planning on taking as many people with him as possible.

2:21 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

this is an old post, i know... but i'm gonna comment on it anyways..

I pretty much know nothing except when I was looking for zombie zines I came across the article about Poole, and now two or three hours later I know more.

Any-who...
I wrote a few things (not about takeovers, but less serious, like incantations against cruel girls in my sixth grade class and a list of items to go out and 'hunt' a child molester that had been wanted for while..) that were pretty much kind of crazy at the time when I was in sixth grade. I think what they should have done is got this guy some psychiatric help a long time ago. Not saying that would necessarily solve anything, though...

7:36 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home